Friday, March 20, 2009

NUS vs. NTU: Chemistry

Excerpted from my email to a SP graduate dated 16/4/08:

Ok, just my opinion. If you can, try for NUS chem. I feel that NUS applied chem is too hybridised to be useful. It has quite a few engineering elements and yet does not make you an engineer. Of course, that doesn't mean chem (or appl chem) is easy. I feel that NUS chem is better established with many alumni and more companies willing to employ NUS chem grads.

NTU chem n bio chem is simply too new and uncertain. Will employers want grads from NTU CBC? Is the syllabus rigorous enough? No idea as of now. On the bright side, I heard that NTU has a large budget and will be acquiring (or has already acquired) many new equipment and facilities so you are likely to have a fresh environment in NTU.

Lecturer wise, based on the feedback from my graduates, both sides are just as bad (or good). But it seems NTU is more lenient with their "A"s.

If I were to decide, I will choose NUS.

5 comments:

crozzharts said...

Having seen your comments of 3/09, I am keen to know whether you would now recommend NUS or NTU for chemistry as I am currently faced with the same choice this year.

Thanks!

2010 grad

skiesareblue said...

Dear blogger, me too is from SP CLS biotechnology. I have received offers from NUS for Chemistry and NTU for Biological Sciences.

Do you have any opinions or advice on which to accept based on the job prospects?

Thanks!

Unknown said...

hi, if ntu is more lenient with their As, won't you choose ntu? since that means you can graduate with a higher cap and honours as compared to not getting good grades/cap/honours in nus?

CK said...

To skiesareblue:
Job prospects wise, both chemistry and biological sciences are good.

As usual, none of us has a crystal ball so who knows what will happen 5 years, 10 years down the road.

My advice has always been to stick to your interest. It will keep you more motivated at least. Even if the industry declines in the future, well, you did follow your heart, didn't you?

CK said...

To Alissa:

Let me answer from the perspective of an educator rather than that of a student.

I am sure many academic institutions have been grappling with this issue. Do you give better grades and attract more students? Not to mention your graduates will look better compared to those from competing institutions.

Yes, I feel that in the short term, this is beneficial to the institution.

But I am concerned that in the long term, the image of the institution will suffer. By then, the industry or society may realise that your institution has rather low standards, meaning your top students may not be so top after all. Will people still want to employ them?

Sorry, no straight answer to your question. You have to judge for yourself the potential pros and cons.