Friday, March 30, 2012

Tips and tricks for your interview

Email from a worried graduate:

I have sent an email to this company and also sent my resume over. She called me and asked to meet her. I'm happy but worried of what she's going to ask... Will the meeting be very strict and tough? What if I don't know how to answer their questions? Will I be at disadvantage then? So worried! I really need to start full time work so that I can save money for further studies... >.< Any advice you would like to tell me? So worried...

P


From my experience, interview questions are either the technical type or the personal type.

I assume you are well versed in the technical aspects for your job. If not, now will be a good time to dig out those old notes (e.g. instrumental analysis) and dust off the cobwebs and do a refresher.

Personal questions will not have their answers in any textbook. You have to know yourself well to answer well. Some popular questions are:
  1. Why join our company?
  2. What makes you think you are suitable?
  3. How do you see yourself in 3/5/10 years time?
The way to prepare is to brainstorm as many possible questions as you can imagine. Write down good (but true) answers to them. My favourite method is to pass your list of Q&A to a friend and have her ask you those questions. Answer them as you would in a real interview so when your actual interview comes along, you feel as if you have already sat for it before.

Of course you should not be nervous, worried, panicky. (Ok, ok, I know it is not easy.) You should be relaxed but alert. Some mitigation techniques I have tried include:
  1. Deep breathing before and during your interview or anytime you start getting nervous. It really works.
  2. Positive self-talk e.g. tell yourself that you can do it
  3. Visualisation. Imagine yourself being interviewed and answering all questions with confidence. Imagine not just the images (despite the term visualisation) but also the voices from yourself and the interviewer. Perhaps you can imagine feeling the soft velvet of your chair and the coolness from the air-con. Imagine yourself being in perfect control of your emotions as the interview progresses.
Hops the above helps. Good luck!

No comments: